Thursday, June 28, 2012

Baked Tofu with Peanut Sauce


I love, love, love peanut sauce. But since I quit eating chikinz, I need to get my own satay on! This recipe is so simple to throw together, and you can add in or leave out the spice- I made it for my one year old niece and nephew, sans heat, and it was a big hit with the grownups and toddlers, too!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup water (It will look like more than you think you want, but trust me, it will quickly cook off) (I also sometimes used stock and water in combination)
1/2 cup 'natural' style peanut butter and 1/4 cup roasted nuts (creamy alone is great, but a handful of nuts or a chunky blend adds great texture)
2 Tsp tamari or soy sauce
1 Tsp apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp ginger, peeled and grated
1/2 tsp dried cayenne, shake of red pepper flakes, or 1 small Thai chili pepper or 1-2 tsp red chili paste/sauce (Like Siracha)
Squeeze fresh lime
fresh cilantro, garnish
salt, to taste
tofu, patted dry and cut into cubes or rectangles

Preparation:
In a food processor, blend peanut butter, half the peanuts, garlic, tamari, chili, vinegar, lime and water. Blend together. Stir in the remaining peanuts and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Set the tofu in a baking dish, and pour the mixture on top. Turn and coat the tofu. Bake for about 25 minutes.

Garnish with an additional squeeze of fresh lime and sprinkle of cilantro leaves!

No comments:

Post a Comment