Monday, August 17, 2009

I was always bad at keeping a diary, too....




River Cafe
For my birthday Ryan & I ventured to a Brooklyn institution. Located under the Brooklyn Bridge with great views of lower Manhattan, the River Cafe seemed the perfect bon voyage meal. We loved the bar, with live piano player, and the setting is really fantastic. The food... had highs and lows, but the service for me was the biggest disappointment. Ryan started with a special appetizer featuring some tuna tartar, shrimp, and crab. I had a summer salad with melon that was my favorite dish of the night. For our entrees, Ryan had the lobster, and I had the chicken. Though both were good, neither made our knees knock. As for service, the sommelier seemed in a hurry, and our waiter was disinterested. The couple immediately next to us, however, seemed a priority, and continually received better service. They were sent over champagne when they sat down, were visited frequently by the head waiter and given detailed descriptions of items on the menu- it was really bizarre. Even though Ryan had informed the restaurant it was my birthday, our waiter didn't know who to give the complimentary chocolates to- and had to ask. Overall, I wasn't that impressed. After fabulous meals this year at Babbo and Del Posto, where I felt treated like a queen, this just didn't cut the mustard. Considering the menu is prix-fixe, one would expect the service to be just as fantastic for all guests willing to shell out $98 per person!


No comments:

Post a Comment