Thursday, May 9, 2013
Tortilla Soup Redux
Since I moved to the south, I see tortilla soup on almost every menu, but usually with chicken. I had a mean craving for it, and hadn't made it in quite some time- This recipe was originally published on my blog back in 2010!! So, here is my new and improved homemade veg version, now with a make-your-own broth!!! Hopefully, it will bring as much comfort as this heartwarming movie I've never seen.
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
-Tomato paste- 1/2 tsp
-black beans, rinsed
-1/2 white onion
-1/2 red onion
-3 cloves garlic
-1/2 jalapeño, seeds in for heat, out if not.
-1/2 red bell pepper
-fresh ground pepper
-corn kernels, rinsed
Preheat over to 425 Degrees.
1. Pour a small amount of olive oil in a large soup pot. Sweat the garlic and onions over low heat. Once they turn translucent, add in the jalapeño and continue to cook over low heat.
1A. While the onions and garlic cook down, put 2 or three tortillas into the oven, and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove and let cool.
2. Once the peppers, onion, and garlic are fragrant and soft, add in the tomato paste, cumin, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for a few more minutes.
3. Add in the stock, beans, corn, red pepper, and cilantro. Bring to a boil.
4. Turn soup to simmer. Add in lime juice.
5. Cut tortilla and avocado into strips. Stir the tortilla strips into the soup.
6.Taste and adjust seasonings.
7. Serve soup and garnish with the avocado.