Monday, November 8, 2010

Curried Roasted Winter Squash Soup


My house smells fabulous right now. I am a huge fan of cooking by my nose- there is such a strong connection between the sense of smell and taste, and I find my best cooking happens when I trust my nose to know what my mouth will like. Tonight's creation- like so many- relied on my nose. If you are looking to move away from cookbook recipes and further into your own tastes, I recommend following your nose to this tasty delight!!

Ingredients:
1 large butternut squash, acorn squash, sweet potato, or pumpkin, seeded (about 3 cups of puree)
olive oil
3 tblsp butter
3 shallots, or 1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
small piece of ginger, peeled and grated (about a tblsp)
1 can coconut milk
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 tsp curry powder
dash cayenne
salt & pepper
cilantro

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the squash down the middle, stab all over with a fork, and rub with olive oil. Roast 30 minutes to an hour, until the squash is tender and begins to peel from the skin.

2. Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat. "Sweat" the onions and garlic, allowing them to turn translucent but not to brown, stirring. Grate the ginger after a while, once the garlic and shallot aroma is strong. Allow to cook a few more minutes.

3. Season onions, garlic and ginger with curry, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir in stock and coconut milk.

4. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.

5. Scoop the squash out of the peels and add to soup. Allow to cook an additional 15-20 minutes.

6. Puree in a blender, taste, adjust flavors, and garnish with cilantro to serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment