Friday, February 11, 2011

Sel de Mer Act II: Dinner



So, as mentioned in my previous post about brunch at Sel de Mer, we were so impressed, we wanted to give dinner a shot ASAP. So, the other night, cold and windy and icy, seemed perfect for some fish n' chips and other hearty sea fare. And Sel de Mer did not disappoint!

We had some really lovely glasses of wine- Ryan tried a special Beaujolais, and I had one of the tastiest glasses of Albarino I've come across in some time. Albarino is a light spanish white wine, almost a little bubbly, and this one had really nice citrus notes.

For appetizers, I ordered a warm beet salad. I have to admit I am a sucker for this dish: if it is on a menu, I am pretty much going to order it. Usually it contains all my favorite things- beets, arugula, spinach, or field greens- and often goat cheese. I've had my fair share of good, and I've had my fair share of meh. This one comes out near or at the top of the list. The beets were sweet and delicious, and the greens nice and peppery. My only complaint was there was a bit too much cheese, but it was easy enough to leave it on the plate.

Ryan ordered the lobster mac n' cheese- it was delicious, but very rich. I am not a fan of lobster, and though I did not try the meat, I tasted the noodles and it was delicious. The flavor was great.

For our entrees, I ordered the fish n' chips, which was awesome. super light and flaky and the batter was just right. The best part of course was the malt vinegar. Ryan had the mussels in white wine and garlic, and they were "really good. Really good." Locally, Ryan has declared them the best in the 'hood"- high honors.

Overall, the tab wasn't bad- not cheap, but in step with what we see for dinner for 2 with appetizers and drinks. $85.

No comments:

Post a Comment