Thursday, February 10, 2011

White Wine and Garlic Mushroom Polenta



Polenta always brings back childhood memories of my Great Grandmother's kitchen. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy the polenta then, but I sure do now- and sorta wish for a gourmet time machine on this one. The irony is that Ryan definitely does not like polenta, then or now, and so I rarely make it. But, it was freezing, I was hungry, and there was a bag of shiitake mushrooms going to rot. So, in a moment of... what can I make in 5 minutes for dinner? I reached for a box of polenta. Below is the recipe, for the next time you get a comfort food calling!!

1 box instant polenta (the one I used made... a massive quantity...)
Directly to the polenta I add in chicken broth, butter and olive oil, and grated pecorino cheese, salt and pepper to taste.

For the mushrooms:
1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms
1 clove garlic, chopped
white onion
olive oil
white wine
chicken stock

Heat the oil in a skillet. Slowly cook the garlic and onions. Add in the mushrooms, stir. Add in the stock and wine and cook off. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve the mushroom mixture over the polenta and adjust seasonings to taste!!

No comments:

Post a Comment