Thursday, December 22, 2011
I love this appetizer! Ryan and I made this as our first course for our Christmas Eve Dinner. It goes great with champagne!
24 White stuffer mushrooms
1 large bag Spinach
1 medium-size block Gruyere cheese, cut into small, thin pieces
3 cloves garlic
1 tblsp Butter
Salt and pepper
1. Clean the mushrooms, removing the stem, and carefully preserving the shape of the cap. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large saute pan, melt the butter and olive oil together over low heat. Add in shallots and garlic, and cook until translucent and aromatic. Add in a splash of chicken or vegetable stock and white wine, and allow to cook off.
3. Add in the spinach and stir to wilt. Add in salt, pepper, and lemon.
4. Add in cheese and herbs and melt together.
5. Place mushroom caps on baking sheets. Spoon the spinach and cheese mixture into the caps and sprinkle some bread crumbs on top.
6. Bake 10 minutes, allowing the cheese and bread crumbs to brown on top!