Sunday, April 29, 2012

Dill Dip



Fresh Dill- Several generous handfuls
3 cloves poached garlic
salt and pepper- lots of pepper
1 shallot
small container greek yogurt
tablespoon mayo
1-2 tablespoons sour cream (if desired)
celery and other veggies, cut for dipping

I love cooking things that take only a handful of ingredients and a few minutes in the kitchen, and taste great! This recipe is one of those gems that I can whip up after work for an awesome snack.

Poached garlic:
I recommend poached garlic, rather than raw, to take some of the bite out, but leave the flavor. For the same reason, I prefer shallot to raw onion. To poach the garlic, peel and boil for about 10 minutes. I like to do large batches of this and leave it in the fridge, as well as mix it into butter and mayonnaise. I use it all the time!! Since the garlic will now be soft and mushy, I can spread it on toast, smash it in the bottom of a pan before I saute green beans or garlic, or mix it into mashed potato.

Anyway, to make the dip:

In a food processor, scoop in the yogurt, the mayo and/or sour cream, throw in the garlic, roughly chopped shallot, the dill, and season. Blend, taste, and adjust.

Cut up radish, celery, carrot, etc, and eat! The best part: If you are using lowfat yogurt and only small amounts of mayo and sour cream, this is actually a super healthy, low fat dish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment