Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mushroom and Chipotle Quesadillas




So, as part of my pledge to eat less meat, I have been searching out hearty and flavorful foods that would be easy to make in vegetarian and carnivorous servings, one for me, and one for my must-eat-meeeeaaat husband. Hence this quesadilla recipe. I've made them before, and they are super yummy, but a bit work intensive. I make them in advance and keep them warm in the oven until dinner.

Flour tortillas
mexican cheese mix (Or go authentic and buy several quesos and grate your own!)
red onion
cherry tomato (organic, a splurge, I know)
2 chipotle peppers- if dried, heat at 400 degrees til puffy (a few minutes) then soak in warm water. Discard water, chop and remove stem and seeds. wear gloves, as the spice WILL get in your hands, and not leave for a long time.
bella mushrooms- I went farmers market fresh on these and did not regret it. Amazing flavor, very tender.
(chicken browned in butter with chili powder and cumin)
(chorizo)
Pam cooking spray
hot sauce
salsa
sour cream or guacamole if desired

I spray the pan with Pam and both the tortillas- I find Pam does a better job than butter of holding up in the slow-heat method required to make these. Dice up the veggies, and prep the chipotle.

Heat the pan over LOW heat. Place the tortilla in the pan, sprinkle in a handful of each desired ingredient. Top with second tortilla. Let the ingredients soften and watch for the cheese to start to melt. Gently tap down the edges of the top tortilla to seal in the goodness, and when sealed, flip. Let tortillas get a light golden brown color, but avoid cooking them until crispy.

Rinse and Repeat. Much like a grilled cheese, the challenge is getting the insides gooey without burning the outsides!!

No comments:

Post a Comment