Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Chicken/Veggie Pot Pie
This is one of my all-time favorite middle of winter dishes! And given the sub-zero weather... it seemed perfect for tonight.
HOWEVER... as I started making this masterpiece of a food, it dawned on me about an hour in why I only make it ONCE each winter. So reader, be warned: it's a bit of a beast to make, involving several steps and a lot of dirty dishes, but the payoff is a homemade comfort classic that is amazing!!
1 1/2 cups pastry flour
1 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
5-6 tablespoons ice water
Combine flour & salt with a whisk. Add in butter and combine with a fork until crumbly. Drizzle water and shape into a ball. Refrigerate in Saran wrap for 30 minutes.
Ingredients for Filling:
3 stalks of celery
2-3 red potatoes
1/2 can of peas
1/2 can of corn
1/2 large white onion
2 cloves garlic
mushrooms- we had white button on hand, I'd use baby bella too
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 can milk
1/2 can chicken stock
dill, thyme, rosemary, parsley, poultry seasoning
salt and pepper
1/2 stick of butter
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut potatoes and boil until tender
3. While potatoes are boiling, cut the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and mushroom into small pieces.
4. In a pan over medium heat, melt the butter and add in the veggies. Saute until soft and onions are translucent, careful to not brown.
5. Once veggies soften, add in the can of cream of chicken, the milk, and stock. Season with the herbs and salt and pepper. Be generous with the herbs and pepper (except the rosemary, use that sparingly). Allow to cook over medium heat.
6. In a casserole dish, layer the veggie mix, the potato, the peas and corn. If needed, add in more stock. Top with additional seasonings and then roll out and cover with the crust.
7. Bake in oven for about 40 minutes.
If using chicken:
Cut the chicken into cubes and cook in butter. Shred and mix in with veggie mixture and filling.