Monday, June 21, 2010

Uno, Due, TRE


I met my friend Liz for dinner the other night on the LES by my school. We decided to get some italian at Tre, a cute little spot that carries one of my favorite every-day bottles of red, a negroamaro called Rocca Bella. I'm pretty sure they charged me for a glass ($(8) just shy of what i'd normally pay for a bottle ($11) ... but hey, it sure is tasty. Liz and I started with an item from the "Neapolitan Street Food" section of the menu, all for $6 each. We tried the arancini di riso- fried rice balls- basically a sweet pea and mozzarella risotto fried up. We both agreed that they needed either more cheese inside, or a sauce to dip them in. Some of the other items sounded really great on this menu- mushrooms, crispy artichokes, fried zucchini, etc. But we were not quite hungry enough to explore them all on this trip!

For my entree, I had the fusilli gorgonzola ($14)- which had zucchini and shitake mushroom, and was served in a light (if there can be such a thing) gorgonzola cream sauce. Liz and I agreed this was the winning dish- lots of flavor, just the right amount of sauce, and the mushroom and zucchini really did a nice job complimenting the gorgonzola. Liz tried the homemade gnocchi ($16) which was not as successful. The gnocchi were almost flavorless and somewhat heavy and sticky. The spinach and cheese flavors just didn't make it to the palate. The fresh tomato sauce was nice, but nothing to write home about.

Overall, I thought the restaurant was cute and had potential. I'd probably go back for a glass of wine and to try a few more of the neapolitan street snacks. But I wouldn't send you searching for it if you weren't already in the neighborhood, either, if you know what I mean....

No comments:

Post a Comment